The Right Way To Moisturize
You've seen it on Instagram and most likely TikTok as well, and that's the importance of moisturizing at night. The benefits are never-ending, and the visuals are a bonus.
Our goal? To have that glowy sheen before our head hits our pillow.
Not only does moisturizing at night help to keep your skin hydrated, but it can also help to improve the overall appearance and texture of your skin.
But it's not enough to moisturize. It's important to pick a moisturizer that isn't going to be doing more bad than it is good. Combine that with the weather and season, and your diet and water intake, and the ingredients in your skin care are more important than ever.
Here's our take on how to properly moisturize your skin:
- Moisturize Every Night:
- When you moisturize at night, your skin is able to absorb the product more effectively. The reason for this is that while you sleep, your body's temperature rises, which increases blood flow to the skin. This increased blood flow allows the moisturizer to penetrate deeper into the skin, resulting in better hydration.
- Prevent Water Loss Both Inside & Out:
- Trans epidermal water loss, or TEWL is a natural process, as water will evaporate from the skin over the course of a day. You can slow it down by opting for skincare products that help the skin lock in moisture like fatty acids, ceramides, and hyaluronic acid. Make sure you're also drinking enough water during the day to replenish your stores and to ensure that your skin cells are getting a boost of hydration from the inside out.
- Be Picky With Your Ingredients:
- When it comes to keeping your skin hydrated, not all moisturizers are created equal. It's important to be mindful of the ingredients in skincare products and avoid those that can actually dry out the skin. Ingredients such as alcohol, synthetic fragrances, and glycolic acid should be avoided by those with dry skin. Alcohol can cause dryness, irritation, and even eczema, while fragrances can lead to acne and more serious issues. Glycolic acid, an exfoliant, may be beneficial for those with dull skin but can cause dehydration and irritation in those with dry skin.
- The Right Way to Moisturize:
- Ensure your skin is getting the maximum hydration from your skincare products, it is important to apply them correctly. We suggest the following tips for proper application:
- Apply moisturizer to damp skin to help lock in moisture.
- Pat your skin dry instead of rubbing it vigorously to avoid irritation.
- Choose thicker moisturizers, such as creams or ointments, for dry skin as they provide a barrier to lock in moisture.
- Don't forget to moisturize other areas such as the lips, hands, and feet.
- Use a cleansing bar or cleanser that will leave the skin feeling moisturized, instead of stripping it of its natural oils, like our Detox & Balance Cleansing Bar.
- Consider using a hydrating serum, which will help draw moisture into the skin. Our Keep Smooth is packed with vitamin C, turmeric, peptides, gotu kola and many other natural active ingredients that will leave your skin silky smooth while restoring its youthful glow.
- Wear cotton gloves or socks after applying moisturizer on hands and feet.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your skin is getting the hydration it needs without clogging or overdoing it. It helps to keep your skin hydrated, improves its overall appearance, and can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.